Theme: Getting Ready
All the bridesmaids got up and prepared their lamps.8 Then the five foolish ones asked the others, ‘Please give us some of your oil because our lamps are going out.’9 “But the others replied, ‘We don’t have enough for all of us. Go to a shop and buy some for yourselves.’10 “But while they were gone to buy oil, the bridegroom came. Then those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was locked.11 Later, when the other five bridesmaids returned, they stood outside, calling, ‘Lord! Lord! Open the door for us!’ – Matthew 25:7-11
What does this Mean?
- Get what you need! In order to be ready you have to have what you’ll need. If you don’t have what you need you won’t be able to compete. If you can’t complete, you won’t win. Be prepared with what you’ll need!
- Know when you’ll need it! The ladies in this story knew that they would soon need the oil in the lamp, yet they weren’t ready. Be prepared by always being ready to contribute.
- Go where you’re needed! The bridesmaids were supposed to go to the party, the main event! Your main event is what happens on the field. Be prepared to give your all where you are needed.
- What do you need physically, emotionally or spiritually to be ready for this season?
- Are there any things in your life holding you back from giving your best at a moments notice?
- What are you most excited about as you prepare to go where you are needed? What can you to do prepare to maximize the opportunities that this season holds?
Lord, we’re ready – help us be more prepared so we can perform. Show us what we need, when we’ll need it and where we’re needed so that we can be at our best this season. Give us strength and courage to support each other, to stay strong together and to do all we can to honor you. We ask and pray this in Jesus name, Amen.
“I always had a philosophy which I got from my father. He used to say, 'Listen. God gave to you the gift to play football. This is your gift from God. If you take care of your health, if you are in good shape all the time, with your gift from God no one will stop you, but you must be prepared.” Pele