Inspirational Bible Verse
Jesus said, “No procrastination. No looking backwards. You can’t put God’s kingdom off until tomorrow. Seize the day.” – Jesus, Luke 9:62
The Short Version of the Story
Jesus is responding to some objections as to why people don’t want to follow him. He says that following him will be physically hard – but we should do it anyway. He said that following him would be emotional hard – but that we should do it anyway. Jesus doesn’t deny that our excuses are legitimate; He just says that they shouldn’t get in the way of what we need to do. His closing encouragement is in the scripture above.
What does this Mean?
- We will never embrace opportunity until we put aside excuses. There are incredible opportunities ahead for us, but we will never grasp them if we hide behind excuses. Always Pursue opportunity!
- Putting off until tomorrow what we should do today doesn’t help anyone. It is always the right time to do the right thing. Often “I’ll wait” means “I won’t”. Act assertively, now!
- We should only glance (not look backwards) to realize what we are thankful for. The future belongs to those who are looking forward. Carpe Diem!
- What opportunities excite you? When opportunities come, what is your default response – to say yes or no?
- What are some opportunities that you can grasp to become more assertive in your life, faith and spiritual growth?
- When you look back on your life what are you thankful for? When you look forward what are you excited for?
- What does it mean for you to make the most of every moment?
Lord God, help us to be men who live in the moment. Help us not to put off what we need to do, help us not look to look backwards at our past for too long and help us to seize the opportunities before us – starting tonight! Help us to create and capture the opportunities that are ahead of us, help us to be proactive in what we do and help us to make this game count. We pray that how we play on the pitch and how we live off it will be honoring to you. We ask and pray this in Jesus name, Amen.
“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.” – Mother Theresa