“Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, 2 saying, “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.” Matthew 2:1-2
What does this Mean?
A wise man has three distinct traits. These are characteristics that we must seek to build into our lives.
- Wise men always seek to LEARN. As soon as we stop learning we start moving backwards. No matter where we are in our lives and our career there are things that we can learn on the field and, always, much to learn off it.
- Wise men constantly LOOK for the right way. The wise men in this scripture verse have been looking to follow a sign that God have given to them, a star. One of our roles as we begin this new season is to look to the sign of hope that God has given us – Jesus. As we approach this new season, we must be looking to imitate the ways that Jesus lived and loved.
- Wise men LONG to fulfill their God given purpose. The wise men had travelled, on foot, thousands of miles to come and see the baby Jesus. Once they had seen Jesus they had fulfilled their ultimate goal. It required sacrifice, time and great cost to fulfill this purpose but longing and passion drove them to fulfill their goal.
- What’s one area of your life and play that you want to improve this season? Ask God to help you with this and make a commitment to grow in this area.
- What are some challenges in your life and play right now that you need to look in the right direction to find answers to? What are some ways that you are looking in the wrong direction?
- What’s your goal this year? What are your longing for? What are you passionate about? What’s your plan to get there?
Lord, we can’t wait for this new season and all the opportunity, hope and adventure that it promises. As we get ready for all that is ahead, help us to be men who continue to learn, who keep looking in the right direction and who long to fulfill the purposes that you have given to us. Help us to give our best this evening. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.