Do you see what this means—all these pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on? It means we’d better get on with it. Strip down, start running—and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins. Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we’re in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: Cross, shame, whatever. And now he’s there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls! Hebrews 12:1-2 (The Message)
What this Means
We stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before us. We are here because of the work and sacrifice of many. Tonight’s experience is on the tab of those who have gone before us. We have an obligation to honor the past as we build the future.
We have a responsibility to those who are watching. We are surrounded by people want the very best for us. With great privilege comes great responsibility.
Get on with it – Don’t take any extra baggage with you; run hard, fast and never, ever quit.
Give it all – Be lean and mean as you keep your eyes on the ultimate winner, Jesus. Never lose sight of the opportunities that are ahead.
Finish well – Jesus did, we can. Let His life and legacy shoot adrenaline into your soul.
Reflection and Application
- Who are some of the “shoulders that you are standing on”, people who have inspired and shaped you? What can you do to honor those who have helped you come this far?
- What can you do to steward the responsibility that your position gives you more effectively?
- What extra baggage are you carrying that you need to let go of?
- What are some of the things that distract you from the purpose God has for you? How can you ignore them?
- What does it look like to prepare now to finish well?
A Personal Prayer
Lord, thank you for those who have gone before us and for those who have given and sacrificed to allow us to be where we are. Help us to honor those who have supported us this far by giving all we have got so that we can finish well. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.